Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Taipei Part VIII: The most amazing mochi EVER


Gazing at the mochi in its adorable little box.
You can see how excited I am.


Kevin and I arrived back at the Taipei Main Station with time to spare, so we set about picking up some yummy snacks before the bus departed. We stopped for some dumplings (out of this world good) and then stumbled upon a lower level devoted entirely to food and snacks (sort of like a food court, but much bigger). There was tons of interesting Japanese food, and a decent amount of western stuff, but the best was a giant stall selling all different flavors and varieties of mochi.


The box opens and the mochi is revealed!


People crowded around the counter, where little samples could be speared with wooden toothpicks and devoured. I sampled frozen strawberry yogurt in the traditional white sticky rice coating, and some kind of crushed peanut filling inside black sesame mochi. They were both spectacular (and I was urged to take some more once I asked one of the attendants a few questions in Chinese, score!) but in the end I chose to try a hama melon yogurt mochi in honor of my sister, who loves a similar mochi treat back home.


Beautiful and delicious -- some of the best mochi I've ever had.


As you can see, the filling was light and fluffy, and quite different than the melon mochi I've tried before. This is also the event that prompted Kevin to tease me about how most of the decisions I've made here are related in some way or another to my family back home... and you know what, he's right! Bean, this post's for you. :)